Relationship Tips for a Happy Marriage Part 81: Learn More about Your Mate
How well do you know your spouse?
When you first started dating your partner, you probably spent a lot of time on the phone with him or her. Both of you enjoyed listening to and learning more about each other. Unfortunately, if you are anything like most married couples, these conversations have since stopped.
No matter how well you think your know your spouse, it is important to recognize that people change. Your spouse is not the same person you married and you are not the same person that he or she married. Your husband’s or wife’s favorite color, food, music and interests may have changed since the last time you spoke about it! By assuming that you know all there is to know about your spouse, you deny yourself the opportunity to discover the mystery of one another.
Get To Know Your Spouse Better
In order to get to know your spouse better, you have to ask questions that will stimulate interesting conversations. It’s kind of like playing trivia games for couples.
Some questions that you can ask are:
- Why are you passionate about cooking/ riding/ cars/ the house (any other thing you know your spouse loves so much)?
- What is the one goal you wish to achieve in your lifetime?
- If you could turn back time what would you change about your life and why?
- If you didn’t have to work, how would you spend your days? And with whom?
- What made you fall in love with me?
- What is the hardest thing that you wish to accomplish in life?
- Who – among your friends – do you consider to be your best friend? And why?
- What’s the one place that you have always wanted to visit?
- Which home cooked meal is your favorite?
How Well Do You Know Your Spouse?: Self Assessment
You can only ask the above questions so many times before it starts to get boring. Therefore, why not switch it around a little bit and have your partner quiz you. Your ability to answer these questions without much struggle will reveal how well you know your spouse. Have your spouse ask you questions such as:
- What is my favorite thing to do during the weekends?
- Which home cooked meal is my favorite?
- Who is my best friend?
- Which is my favorite holiday/ vacation destination?
- Which is my favorite restaurant? favorite food? favorite dessert?
- Which is my favorite dress/ shirt etc?
- What is my dress /shoe size?
- What stresses me out?
The above questions are just guidelines for discussion between you and your loved one. You can always come up with more questions depending on what intrigues you most about your partner.
Keep in mind that there is a time and place for these conversations such as during date night, game night or any other time when the two of you are spending quality time together. You don’ t want to be asking your spouse what his or her favorite home cooked meal is when you are in the middle of a discussion about bills or the kids. Ask these questions at the right time and watch yourself fall in love with your partner all over again. The next time someone asks you “how well do you know your spouse?” you should be able to say “extremely well”.